Brixton Parish is the first parish in the South Hams on the A379 on the outskirts of Plymouth and is steeped in history. The landscape of the parish is mainly agricultural and the area to the south of the A379 is part of the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty bordered by the River Yealm and Cofflete Creek. There are two main settlements in the parish – Brixton Village and Carrollsland, along with the hamlets of Brixton Torr and Spriddlestone. Building of the new town of Sherford started in 2016.
The electorate for Brixton Parish in 2021 was 1743, with 282 electors residing in Sherford.
Located within Brixton village there is a church, primary school, village shop and post office, pub, fish and chip shop, restaurant and a residential/nursing home. Close to the village is a garden centre, camp site, garage with car sales and small industrial estate. At Carrollsland there is a garage/supermarket and Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club.
Brixton Parish is a very active community and full details can be found on the Brixton Parish website.